Monday, January 25, 2010

Spicy Small Batch Pico de Gallo.



One of the many benefits to living in the Washington Heights neighborhood is the ready access to fresh produce. There is never a shortage of limes, cilantro, or avocados. Though lets all take a quick moment to collectively sigh at how terrible winter tomatoes are.
A few nights ago I was in the mood to brighten up a dreary January night with something fresh and zingy. The following recipe is a bit spicier than most but you can adjust any of the ingredients to suit your tastes. The most important thing is to use fresh everything!

Spicy Pico de Gallo

4 to 5 -Roma Tomatoes
1 -Medium Yellow Onion
1- Jalapeno Pepper
3- Large Cloves Garlic
2-Lemons
1- Lime
4-Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro
Course Salt
Pepper

1. Seed and chop tomatoes.Romas are the easiest to seed and chop but I wasnt to thrilled by the color and scent of the ones I got at the supermarket today.
2. Finely chop Onions and seeded Jalapenos. I like to use regular old cooking onions but many people like to use red onions. Either way it will work. Pico de Gallo is usually not a very spicy salsa but my sister likes it with a kick. If you don't want too much spice, use half a jalapeno instead of a whole. And use FRESH not canned!

3. Add garlic. You can use as many or as few cloves as you like. I usually like to chop mine but in homage to my friends over at Garlic Press and Co, I will use the awesome press my aunt gave me for Christmas.

4. Add the juice of 1 lime and 2 lemons. Most people use only lime but I admit I am not a huge lime fan. They tend to be too sweet for me so I like to add lemons!

5. Add chopped cilantro and a generous amount of salt and pepper.

Let the salsa sit for at least 3 hours or if you have time over night!

Tastes even better if you eat it while listening to Rodrigo y Gabriella. Check em out!

Enjoy!
~K

No comments:

Post a Comment