Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Betty Crocker is One Smart Broad!


Whenever I get the baking itch, more likely than not I reach for my brownie recipe. Brownies are stupid easy to make and always seem to come out perfectly. It always amuses me the number of people who have never made a brownie without a box of mix. Homemade tastes so much better and really doesn't take much more time or effort. As a chocoholic, some days I can't fall asleep without my nightly chocolate fix. Tonight is no exception. Therefore, I offer for your appreciation my favorite brownie recipe. I have tried many but none can even come close to the masterpiece that is Betty Crocker's Cocoa Brownie Recipe. For some reason they come out packed with more chocolate flavor than all of the other recipes that call for melted chocolate. And because Embrace Food is all about being a little naughty, I like to sprinkle chocolate chips or chunks on top for a little extra pow! Also I almost forgot to mention..NEVER ice brownies. You want Icing? Bake a cake! Brownies are an expression of pure, simple, chocolate pleasure. Don't mess it up with icing!

Betty Crocker's Cocoa Brownies
1 c. White Sugar
1/2 c. Butter (Yes, I suppose you could use margarine but REALLY?)
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 eggs
2/3 c. Flour
1/2 c. Unsweetened Cocoa (go ahead add a little extra)
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
Handful of Chocolate Chips (optional)
1/2 c. Chopped Walnuts (optional- I usually don't. Makes em harder to inhale)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix sugar, butter, vanilla, and eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Spread in greased 8x8 pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
Cool and cut into squares.

Note: Brownies are not finicky. Don't worry too much about mixing in every last speck of butter.

In today's recipe I used Ghirardelli cocoa powder but I grew up baking with regular old Hershey's cocoa. Can't say I can tell the difference.

Pour yourself a tall glass of milk and...
Enjoy
~K

2 comments:

  1. Sad to admit it, but I have never baked brownies or a cake from scratch. Yes, my head is hung....but now I will try with brownies! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were awesome Katie, made them the other night, making them again tonight! I did use walnuts 'cuz I love nuts so much, but also sprinkled the choco chips. NUMMY!

    ReplyDelete