Monday, January 25, 2010

The Joys of Milk.

The Amazing Liquid that is MILK:
Ok! I am very proud to say that I am from the dairy state. The real dairy state! Not the happy cow loving hippy California, but the hearty no nonsense REAL dairy state of Wisconsin. Therefore, I feel obligated to say a few words about milk.

Milk is amazing! The amount of milk-fear in the world greatly saddens me. So many of my friends and family have demonized milk as a horrid liquid fattener. Oh no my friends NOT SO!
Milk like all things is good for you in moderation. In fact it is more than good for you!
Just listen to my friends at Wikipedia:

Studies show possible links between milk consumption and reduced risk of arterial hypertension, coronary heart disease, colorectal cancer and obesity. Overweight individuals who drink milk may benefit from decreased risk of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Milk is a source of Conjugated linoleic acid. CLA has been shown to kill human skin cancer, colorectal cancer and breast cancer cells in vitro studies, and may help lower cholesterol and prevent atherosclerosis.

Haha so there!

A NOTE ON MILK IN RECIPES:
Over the past few years I have come to realize that the type of milk used in recipes does indeed greatly impact the flavor and consistency of the food. If you use whole milk, half and half, and even cream while cooking, I guarantee you will notice the difference. Sauces are thicker, baked things richer, and just about everything will be tastier! You can't beat a Bechamel made with whole milk and a splash of cream!

I am a true believer in having more than one type of milk in your fridge; one for cooking and one for drinking. Despite my mothers refusal to buy anything but whole milk growing up, I do prefer to drink 1 percent milk on a daily basis, and it is healthier for you to consume by the glassful.

In New York City I have had a bit of trouble finding an acceptable brand of milk. The cheap bulk milk in WI supermarkets is really good, while I find the NYC milk to be fairly terrible. I once opened a half gallon that tasted like cow. Literally COW.

Organic milk, at least in New York, seems to be the answer. Not only does it taste better it also lasts longer. Sadly the price tag has also been upgraded. My preferred brand Stonyfield Farms Organic runs around $5 a gallon. OUCH!

Ok that's my WI pride rant for the day. Next time recipes I promise!
~K

1 comment:

  1. You could always go down to Korova http://www.korovamilkbar.com/site/ for you milk needs. :) But in all seriousness, great post. I couldn't agree more for the need to use heavier milk products for sauces. Down here in the dirty South we marinate chicken in butter milk before frying it.

    ReplyDelete